Considering switching to gas devices may be an option to reduce your bills while experiencing gains in comfort and efficiency.
Gas is in plentiful supply in the United States meaning that prices are low and stable, and shale gas is viewed as the cleanest fossil fuel, thus, it can be seen as the environmentally responsible choice.
If you already have a natural gas line in your home, or are completing a new house you should consider the possible benefits of using more natural gas and gas appliances. Learn more about gas appliances below from Houston Appliance Repair NOW:
What is a Natural Gas Home Appliance?
A gas home appliance employs gas as the primary power source. Gas home appliances offer a viable alternative for electrically powered devices for heating your living space, providing hot water, heating food and even air conditioning and drying your clothes.
In many situations natural gas home appliances still will need an electricity supply but use natural gas as the primary source of power. The quantity electricity needed depends on how the appliance works. E.g, a gas boiler will provide hot water even during a power cut, whereas a natural gas dryer still relies upon electricity to make the drum turn.
A List of Devices That Use Gas
Natural gas is not just for heating.
Heating your home with gas is usually less expensive than providing heat using electricity. Savings can be as much as 50% subject to your energy tariffs and efficiency.
Natural gas makes the air hotter in a shorter time and offers better reliability.
Aside from keeping your home warm gas is ideal for having a fire in your home.Forget the hassle of having to collect or buy logs or clean out the ashes. With a natural gas fireplace, you still get that open fire feeling and a warm home without the fuss.
Gas air conditioners can be an adept method to cool your home, even if there is a power outage.
Natural gas air conditioning may be more expensive to install but is cheaper to run and maintain meaning a better return on your investment. Better performance also has a positive impact on your carbon footprint.
Natural gas water heaters come in two forms, tank heaters and non-tank or on-demand heaters. Natural gas heaters are more rapid and more productive than electric water heaters. On-demand water heaters also give a continuous supply even with high demand. Invaluable if you have a big family that indulges in long showers.
The fact that gas lines are usually dug into the ground and sheltered from the weather ensures you will still have hot water even if you don’t have electricity.
We’ve all encountered the saying “cooking with gas”. A gas company marketing line conceived to link gas with effectiveness and efficiency.
Regardless of the etiology the phrase has stuck around because it is accurate. The majority of chefs and amateur cooks choose gas for the ease with which you can vary the temperature, and gas ranges are also a much more efficient way of turning energy into heat.
Natural gas might not be the first thing you think of when it comes to laundry, however, gas tumble dryers are a great choice. They heat the air at a higher temperature thus drying clothes in less time.
Did you know you don’t just have to use gas inside your home? When it comes to outdoor living, natural gas is often used for lighting and cooking and even to heat your spa.
Impress your guests before they even get out of the car with driveway lights, keep them warm on cool evenings and get dinner ready outside, whenever you are ready, and without the need to remember to fill up your gas bottles.
Just like indoor heaters a pool or spa heater will heat the water twice as rapidly as an electric equivalent. And natural gas fire pits set the mood as well as providing warmth for perfect outside living.
Benefits of Natural Gas Appliances
With any decision you make it makes sense to look at the pros and the cons. Here are some of the benefits of choosing Natural Gas.
- Natural gas is generally cheaper than electricity saving you money on your annual utility bills.
- Natural gas devices tend to use less energy making them financially and environmentally viable.
- Natural gas is an environmentally responsible selection as it is viewed as the least environmentally damaging of the fossil fuels, with emissions of around 27% less carbon dioxide than oil and 45% less C02 than coal.
- Gas lines are generally more reliable and less susceptible to damage or interruption This means you can continue to cool your home even if the power goes out.At worst you might need to find a match.
Cons of Gas Appliances
- Natural gas appliances generally require a higher initial cost. Both the cost of the appliance and the cost to install are likely to be greater for a natural gas appliance when looking at next to electrical goods.
- Having a gas line installed can be costly. The amount will vary depending on a number of factors.
- Moving or extending a natural gas line can also cost a considerable amount so this should be added to any cost comparisons.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning can be a killer if natural gas home appliances are not installed correctly or regularly maintained. Installing a carbon monoxide alarm is non-negotiable is you use gas in your home.
Is a Gas Appliance The Right Choice for You?
Making the choice between natural gas and electricity is not easy and the best choice for you might not be the optimal decision for everyone.
If your main driver is cost gas is for the time being the cheaper fuel. However, while studies show that three-quarters of new home buyers are choosing to have gas, switching to natural gas is expensive. Thus, getting a quote for installing a natural gas line if you don’t currently have gas appliances is a good first step.
Another reason to choose natural gas is that you are less likely to get interruptions in supply. If power failures are common in your area then having appliances that continue to work during power cuts can count for a lot.
Finally, the environmental credentials of gas could be considered as relatively short term, as you can’t switch them to renewable sources in the same way you can electrical home appliances. Installing renewable energy may turn out to be more cost-effective and more eco-friendly options in the long run.